Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Carbon Credit



Greetings, Loyal Readers!  Your BloomingtonGirl has been missing in action these past few months.  I can only imagine how the resulting void of my words has been the cause of your aching hearts and troubled minds.  Clearly, I have a very active imagination.

My short play Carbon Credit was read at the Durango Ten Minute Play festival last Thursday evening.  135 plays were entered into the contest and five were chosen.  This was the first time that I did not attend a reading of my work.  I have no idea what they did with the material, but based on the review below, I assume that they may have taken it to some dark places.

The most serious work on the playbill satirized extreme environmentalism. Joni McGary’s “Carbon Credit” looks at the fallout of desperate action on one family. Quinn, Terry Swan and Batchelder delivered strong performances in this essentially dark work.


Mine was not one of the two works selected for full production in the fall by the company, alas.  I was hoping to win the "Grand Prize" of $500.  Winning would have enabled me to say that I am making an annual living "well into the THREE figures." I guess I'll have to be happy making just simply three figures.  (Yep. Your BloomingtonGirl was paid a whole one hundred smackers for the upcoming production of the play in DC.  I joke about this, but I will say that it might be the most satisfying money I have ever been paid in my working life to date. Seriously. Really.  Seriously.)


Carbon Credit goes up as part of the Source Festival in DC on July 8 and runs through July 1.  I'm beyond excited to be included in such a line-up and to have the opportunity to work with such excellent people.  Click HERE to access the calendar of productions if you are interested in going.  Carbon is part of the Redeeming Demons Grouping.  Your BloomingtonGirl will be there en famille  on opening night and might go again solo for the closing performance on July 1.  If you are in the area, I hope you will go.  


If you couldn't tell, I'm proud of this little play.  Further, I'm indebted to Ken Weitzman, my friend who wrote the play (Fire in the Garden) that inspired the work. 


In other news, we are putting our house on the market in the beginning of June.  The plan is to find some property and build an energy zero house in which there will be nothing that is not beautiful or useful.  (Hah!  Let's see if we can part with all of our crap that easily.)  We've got some acreage in mind, but we'll have to see if we can sell this place.  A few of our friends are convinced that it will fly off the market because of our famous and beloved neighbor.  We'll see.  I'm excited to embark on a new chapter.  I'm combing all sorts of uber modern plans for ideas.  Stay tuned.







1 comment:

Paul Tamburello said...

Hey BloomingtonGirl,
It's July, already...loyal fans clamor for an update!
pt